Spiced Apple Cake
The CattleQueen Cooks
- One boxed spice cake mix, mix according to the directions (eggs, oil, liquid, etc.)
- 1 heaping cup of chopped apples, (whiskey soaked optional)
- *1/2 cup of apple pie whiskey (optional, homemade recipe listed above) &
- *1/2 cup of water, the whiskey & water will take the place of the liquid listed on the cake mix box
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Almond, slices
- Scant amount of water mixed with 1/4 cup of powered sugar for a glaze/topping
- In a large bowl place the cake mix, eggs, oil & liquid as directed on the box. *For the liquid I used 1/2 water & half whiskey. Whisk together, set aside...
- In a food processor or blender add the whiskey soaked apples & 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. , making a chunky apple sauce. *(You can also pre-soak the apples in a small anount of whiskey, if you don't make the homemade Apple Pie Recipe.)
- Add the chopped apples to the cake batter and blend.
- After filling the cake pan with the batter, sprinkle the sliced almonds on the top and then bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- I used a large round pan or you may use two smaller round pans for your cake.
- Bake as directed on the cake mix box.
- I greased and dusted the pan with sugar. After baking, I let it sit for 20 minutes and then turned it out of the pan.
- Glaze the warm cake with powdered sugar glaze.
Notes: This makes a wonderful coffee or dessert cake. I make my cake in a thin, single layer, but it could be layered with frosting as well.