This past week, I have had serveral emails, and a few phone calls, asking about Buttered Rum Batter. Most of the time, I use the store bought varitey found in the liquor department of the grocery stores. Usually on an end cap during hloidays or with other "stir-in's" in the liquor aisle. ANYHOW...
This got me looking for my Grandma's Original Recipe for Buttered Rum Batter...She, as I do, used it in several desserts, cocktails and Coffee!...It's also good in Hot Choclate for an "Over the Top Treat"!
The CattleQueen Cooks
- 1 pound (box) of Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 cube of softened butter, room temp (I use Salted Butter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (or 1 teaspoon) of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon leveled, ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon leveled, ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper, I use a big pinch. This optional but WOW its good!
- Blend all ingredients together, by creaming gently with a pastry blender, then a fork or spoon.
- Mix thoroughly.
- I bottle the batter into smaller mason jars.
For Cocktail mixes, Baking, Meats, Coffee & Hot Chocolate.... oh the possibilities !
Check out my Butter Rum Ham Recipe here...or Make a Hot Buttered Rum Drink to warm your soul:
Hot Buttered Rum Drink:
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of batter, in a 8-10 ounce mug
- Add 6-8 ounces of hot water, mix well together
- Stirr in a large jigger of Rum (1 1/2 ounces), blend
- Serve Hot!
- If you want it with cream, add 1 tablespoon (or desired amount) of cream or ice cream, like Grand Dad did!
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving....